Reading Aloud and Listening to Audio Books


In the following article, the author discusses the lost art of reading aloud.
Well, not 'lost' but 'diminishing'. I decided to read  the Lord of the Rings
trilogy aloud in order to increase my reading aloud skill. It worked.  Not only is it easier now to read aloud, comprehension seems to be equal to that of reading silently. However, listening to books on tape or CD is a different thing altogether. Much more difficult. One has to be ready to
rewind to re-listen because the mind sometimes wonders. It seems the very act of reading the words off a page helps the mind to focus, while pure listening sparks other avenues of thought. For an extra special treat, try listening to "The Code of the Woosters" as read by Jonathon Cecil.  Cecil is the only reader of P.G. Wodehouse that I would recommend.
The above link is this: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/16/opinion/16sat4.html?hpw

April 16, 2011 - As a change of pace to reading aloud, here is an audiobook to buy:  "True Grit" by Charles Portis, as read by Donna Tartt. It is nothing less than excellent.  In fact, I've listened to it now 3 times, and realize that I should pace myself, and put off another listening for at least half a year. Great book. Great reading by Donna Tartt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Switching from Nylon Strings to Steel

I'm being listened to night & day